Wednesday, July 10, 2013

We are an Official Oculus Rift developer!

Yes, the day finally came... we've been Rifted.  I'll post a good detailed link below, but the short of it is... we can now go ahead and develop Virtual Reality worlds and experiences. Demos have been created for months without the Rift,  I can finally say they work great in the Rift!  Hopefully I can get a good demo out soon.  Here we go...


It's amazing.  True immersion in a fully 3D world with nearly perfect head tracking. I've been developing games for 15 years, on all consoles and pc... nothing has excited me more.
Actually feeling the sense of being in the CG world, its jarring and lovely... exciting and scary..sometimes a bit overwhelming (but I excite easily). The Unity integration is so simple, it just works.  The immediate challenges are the control schemes, scale and patience with some of the devkit deficiencies (low rez, screendoor..blah blah). For me, the resolution and screendoor effect are MUCH less distracting than I expected, tiny little pixels...hey little buddies!  Seeing the edges of the round lenses is worse but totally tolerable.  The head tracking is amazing... the 3D effect, BRILLIANT.  Thank you Oculus...did I mention I'm amazed? 

Favorite demos:  Qbeh, OceanRift, Bunny Stories, Delta Draconis, VR Cinema, Rift Coaster.
*I want to get a working Rift enabled "Ocugreebles" demo out soon!

-HeadTrip
   

No comments:

Post a Comment